16 May JEWISH HERITAGE
AN 11-DAY TRIP DISCOVERING THE JEWISH HERITAGE IN PORTUGAL
Jewish communities lived in Portugal for years and played important roles in many aspects of Portuguese history, society, and way of life. Jewish people lived virtually in every corner of the country, since the end of the Roman Empire and until the Inquisition began in the mid-16th century.
AT A GLANCE
After the Catholic kings’ rule in Spain, a great number of Spanish Jews fled to Portugal where they had a relatively calm life, until the death of the Portuguese king D. Manuel I. They played a significant role in the movement of the Discoveries, not only as trade and finance men, but also as science geniuses.
A trip through the world of the Sephardi Jews will take you on a journey back in time across the entire Portuguese territory and history. Our 10-day trip will start in the North of the country, where you will hear about some curious stories related to the Portuguese Jews and how they managed to deceive the Inquisition. After visiting Porto, we will drive down to Portugal’s central region to visit ancient synagogues, home to the most important communities.
Heading south, we get to the beautiful city of Évora, which in turn is filled with sad memories to the Portuguese Jews, as this has been the birth of the Portuguese Inquisition courts.
The trip ends in Lisbon, where imperative visits await you. Not only will we visit the synagogue and the Church of Saint Dominic, where thousands of Jews were killed by the Inquisition, but also the monuments related to the Discoveries, an opportunity to learn more about the role of the Jewish community during that period and how they helped this small nation, which was also their home, to give “new worlds to the world”.
Want to Know more about everything that is included in this journey ? Ask us.
Price per person sharing starting at: € 2.500,00 *
10 nights/11 days itinerary
- 2 Nights accommodation in The House Ribeira Hotel (Porto) with breakfast
- 2 Nights accommodation in Casas do Côro (Marialva) with breakfast
- 1 Night accommodation in Pousada de Marvão (Marvão) with breakfast
- 2 Night accommodation in The Noble House Hotel (Évora) with breakfast
- 3 Nights accommodation in Heritage Avenida da Liberdade (Lisbon) with breakfast
- Private transfer from airport/hotel – Porto
- Private transfer from hotel/airport – Lisbon
- Rental car
- Entrance fees to synagogues, museums, palaces, etc.
- Local guided tours
- 24-hour emergency contact and assistance available
* Prices may vary according to traveling dates